The Establishment of the Philippine Railways Institute
The Technical Assistance (TA) Project to Establish the Philippine Railways Institute, with a project period from May 2018 to May 2023, is part of the Metro Manila Subway Project with assistance from the Government of Japan through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
On 18 January 2018, the five-year TA was formalized through the Records of Discussion between JICA and the Department of Transportation. The Project aims to provide efficient, reliable, safe, comfortable, and passenger-centered services to the public through strengthening the railway sector’s workforce.
To know more about JICA, you may visit their webpage: https://www.jica.go.jp/english/index.html
The PRI, a research and training center under the administrative supervision of the DOTr, shall be the planning, implementing, regulating, and administrative entity for the development of human resources in the railway sector to ensure efficient, reliable, and safe railway transportation services.
The PRI is a globally competitive organization shaping high-caliber and competent railway personnel towards safe, secure, reliable, and efficient railway system.
The PRI commits to provide world-class railway training utilizing innovative equipment and facilities; regulate the railway workforce through certification and accreditation; and continuously improve railway human resources through research and development.
- Integrity: Doing the right thing even if no one is looking.
- Professionalism: Knowing what to do and doing it right.
- Excellence: Doing one’s work that surpasses ordinary standards.
- Safety-first Mindset: Safety is the number one priority.
- Passenger-centered Services: having a service-oriented mindset towards passenger satisfaction and positive experience regardless of one’s position.
- Teamwork: Promoting unity in diversity.